Saturday, October 15, 2011
The cold and flu season is coming quickly upon us. Below are some tips for staying healthy and cold-free for the coming months, and all year round:
• Stay hydrated. Drink lots of water. Fluids are required for your immune system to function properly.
• Keep your home hydrated. As you try to warm up your house by turning on your heater, use a humidifier to keep humidity levels at around 50%.
• Keep your nasal passages hydrated as well. Dry air can cause nasal passage irritation and can make them more prone to sinus infections.
• Get some good bacteria. Get at least three servings a day of probiotic-rich or fermented foods, such as yogurt with live bacteria, aged cheese, kefir, sauerkraut or kim chi.
• Get rest! If you are feeling tired and run-down, your body is telling you it needs some TLC! Get some rest and sleep.
• Wash your hands regularly.
• Use paper towels to open bathroom doors.
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
• Wipe down desks and tables regularly.
• Make sure you are eating with the season and getting your nutrients. Adequate proteins are really important as the weather gets cooler. If you are not getting your nutrients through your diet, make sure to take some good quality vitamins. Vitamin D is very important during winter months.
• Finally, regular acupuncture treatments will help your immune system function at its optimum.
Have a happy and healthy fall season. If you do happen to get sick, come in and see me. We can get you feeling better quickly.