Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Happy Lunar New Year

“The secret of happiness, you see, is not found in seeking more, but in developing the capacity to enjoy less.” ~ Socrates


In the last few years, I have been on a journey to simplify my life. It’s been a continual work in progress.  With the Lunar New Year approaching, I want to focus this coming year on the concept of less.  


I hear from many of my patients, especially the ones I’m treating for stress or anxiety, that they want to simplify their life. YET, at the same time, they tell me about the new things they are addingto their schedules.  Of course, we all want to take the “chores” out of our lives and only do the fun and leisurely things. While that is a nice thought, it’s not realistic. 


There will always be chorestasks, and responsibilities that are not fun or pleasant, but we have to do them. Most of us, including myself, keep adding more to our hectic schedules to convince ourselves we can have and do it “all. In fact, the only thing we seem to be removing from our schedules is time for rest and sleep.


As a society, we glorify busy.  We have a knack of making even enjoyable events seem stressful because we are so overwhelmed.The following are some goals I’m setting for myself in 2015 to help me enjoy life with “less.  


• I want to take an event off my schedule and NOT replace it with something else.  

• I want to have more moderation in my life, especially in terms of food. I’d like to have a more balanced intake of food, especially sugar.

• I want to stop practicing “retail therapy” when I’m stressed.

What are your “less” goals for the year? I hope this year of less will lead to a lifetime of more happiness.


Points of Wellness would like to wish everyone a Happy Lunar New Year! Let’s welcome in the year of the Green Sheep. The sheep is seen as a symbol of peace, balance, harmony and calmness. Come and visit us if you are looking for balance and calmness in the New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment